Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Sun Also Answers

In those small intimate hours
When night drips into day
I cloak myself in the cold death
Of a star
To tread in the light and shadow
Of an intimate truth

When the personal becomes
The becomes universal
We all must walk through
Our dark nights of the soul
I cling to this cliché
Like a lantern to brighten
The path ahead

I come upon
A pool of water
As still and calm
As an arcane mirror
The moon is reflected
Of its surface
It is as full
As a blood vessel
Threatening to break
To succumb to stress
And spill its light
Upon my frame

Its cratered face
Presses against my cheek
To whisper in my ear
Its breath smells like
The death and decay
Of every creature
That did not survive
The first impact

And it asks of me
What I am afraid to give:

First Impact
First Whisper
Look Within
Pale moonlight drapes itself across my knee

Please don't make me.
I don't think I'm ready yet.

Second Impact
Second Whisper
Look Within
Pale moonlight presses itself against my belly

Please stop.
I can't do this yet.

Third Impact
Third Whisper
Look Within
Pale moonlight pushes into my eyelids.

There are no words.
There are some things we share
by not talking about them.

In that final whisper
I feel the moon drowned out
By the rising sun
Ushering in a new day.

I thank him for what he's done.
He responds from atop his skyline throne
There is nothing to thank me for
I am only doing what I know to do.
And he continues his path
Along the bruised sky.

“I am only doing what I know to do”
I think I may have learned something.
I think I might have found my truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment