Monday, May 20, 2013

Atlas' Shrugs Are not More Important Than Mine


I'm convinced that when Atlas finally shrugged
It was not because the world is so heavy
But because the days are so long
And if a Titan can't shoulder the weight of time dragging on
What does it say of me when they tell me to wait
Good things come to those who wait
I always thought that if I showed up late to things
Then I could pretend to have more patience
than I really did
But I fooled no one
Except myself
And there are few things sadder
Than watching someone laugh at a joke
That no one else gets
Moving to the beat of their own drum
It is so offbeat
And every one can tell
Every one can tell
When you're not doing well
But that doesn't mean they understand
When I was seven
I heard that planes had crashed into the twins
But I shrugged it off because they weren't related to me
And I had no obligation to country yet
So I didn't wonder if anyone I loved was dead or not
But I did wonder how Al-Qaeda was celebrating their success
Back on their black gold soil
While we were trying to drain the blood from ours
Good things come to those who hate
It would seem
Laughing to your own jokes
Can be so dangerous
This doesn't make sense
The important matters of man never do
At least not instinctively
But time still drags on
And how I thank him
How I thank him so
Before I shrug him off

No comments:

Post a Comment