Sunday, January 24, 2016

Civilization

I stand among fading columns
And a crumbling amphitheater
Spectator to the specters of
A time gone by so quickly
It feels like lifetimes ago
Passerbys with inquiring minds
Stop by and wonder

What was this for?
What did they do here?
Who built this monument?
It's such shoddy craftmanship.
How could they think this would ever
stand the test of time?

I am the only one left
With the answers to their questions
With the knowledge to unlock
ancient secrets.
With clenched fist
And heavy heart
I tell them:

This is where we fucked!
This is where we bathed together!
This is where we made promise, after promise,
after promise, after promise, on the premise
that we could love each other in the ways that we needed.

This is where our love fell down!
Where it crumbled to the floor.
Because it was built on the lie
that you could love me the way I needed
And that I could trust you to do so.

Now the history of our civilization
Sits squarely on my shoulders
Gestates in the squirming chasm
Of my gut
And for the first time
I wish I didn't have
The heart of a poet
The heart of someone who can
Spin beauty from horror
There is no beauty in this
I would rather the heart
Of an archaeologist
Or an historian
Someone who can look upon the past
And not be sad that it's over
But glad that it happened.







No comments:

Post a Comment