Wednesday, May 1, 2013

More Sun than Flower


When I die
Lay me down like Autumn
I wanna be as frank with my death bed sheets
As the fall is with the leaves
Reassure me that like bare trees I can’t hide anything
Tell me that the dark in my hide is brightened by the brilliance
Of a springtime mind
Give me spring when winter is too persistent
Break my snowflake gush
With rosebud bloom
Snatch my winter snow blanket
And give me a spring shower curtain
Cause when I wash myself in the change
That only equinox can bring
I don’t want it to splash out onto my
Summer seams stitched with sunlight
Stitched with lightning bugs
Caught in mason jars
That used to be moonshine jars
Till the moon found out we were stealing her glow
When the moon casts her glow on my face
For the last time
Plant me in Georgia soil
Pray that I become a giving tree
Pray that I can cultivate the empathy that knows
What a sunflower feels like when it loses its mind
Over the idea of having more sun than flower
Fertilize me with the irony that
I had to vegetate to learn that the meaning of selflessness
Is me dropping my leaves to the ground like fall does
Cause then I’ll know what it’s like
Not to hold on so tight
There was nothing I could do in the first place
And thank god
There was nothing I could do in the first place
And when my roots are transplanted to the second place
Trim me down to bonsai size
So I can know Zen when I look at a giant pecan tree
And think damn
There’s nothing I’ve wanted to be more than me
And the Earth is so much more than our casket
Than our dumping ground
Than our heat sink
When I die I want to go to heaven
And heaven is right here under our feet

No comments:

Post a Comment