Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hiraeth

I have lost it
I am looking for it
in all the old places
At the concerts
At the poetry readings
At the end of a book
At the bottom of a bottle
of cheap vodka

This form no longer fits its function
It aches to pupate from this strange shell
It aches to return home
To recharge
To replenish
To renew
The altered anatomy

But home has never been a corporeal place
Though everyone tells me
That home is church
Or friend
Or lover
Or heart

It has always been a glacial ghost
Grasping at me with phantom phalange

I will slip its fingers into mine
We will go home together
Put the ghost of hiraeth to rest
Melt the ice surrounding him

Poltergeist becomes guardian spirit
Spirit becomes soul
Soul becomes whole

Whole is home.
Whole is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment